I moved to Broward County in 1995 and settled in Oakland Park in 2003, after living in the Caribbean, Berlin, Germany and ten different states. I grew up in the U.S. Virgin Islands and now live in the South Royal Palm Acres neighborhood of Oakland Park with my husband, Steve. Steve and I have 5 children and 3 grandchildren, and our rescue menagerie – 2 dogs, 2 cats and a cockatiel!
Since moving to Oakland Park, I have been an active member of the community. After graduating from the Oakland Park’s first Local Government Academy in 2005, I reactivated my neighborhood organization, joined Oakland Park Kiwanis and served on the board of Oakland Park Main Street and city Code Enforcement Board. I served on the board of Broward Meals on Wheels and the Broward County Women’s History Coalition. As a member of the Oakland Park Historical Society, I published the first pictorial history of Oakland Park, just in time to celebrate the City’s 80th birthday, July 1st, 2009.
My priority in Oakland Park has been to make the city a better place to live, work and play, focusing on neighborhood improvement, city image,redevelopment and business climate improvement. An article in the Broward New Times named me one of the Three Top People to Watch in 2012, for my work in downtown of Oakland Park and my role in the development of the culinary district. I am a member of Neighborhoods USA (NUSA), and the Florida Neighborhoods Conference (FNC) and have participated in state and national conferences.
I have served on the following boards and committees:
· Broward County Homeless Initiative Partnership Advisory Board, Vice Chair;
· Broward County Pain Clinic Task Force;
· Broward League of Cities, Education Committee;
· Broward League of Cities, Legislative & Advocacy Committee;
· Broward League of Cities, Public Safety Committee;
· Florida League of Cities, Advocacy Committee;
· Florida League of Cities, Urban Administration;
· Florida League of Cities, Legislative Policy Committee;
· Florida League of Cities, Federal Action Strike Team; and
· Commission AppointedLiaison to the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce; and
· Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Federal Action Strike Team.
When my term in elected office came to an end, I continued my community efforts serving first as Outreach and Legislative Advocate for Broward Meals on Wheels. When sequestration ended the funding for that position, I was hired by the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association to lead the Broward Chapter in our efforts to promote, protect and educate the hospitality community, which I have done since 2013.
I can be reached by telephone at (954) 253-0850 or via email at email@example.com